Friday, September 9, 2011

I guess I have to go to class

Alright so I survived my first week of college classes in another country! I anticipated having trouble food shopping, understanding what the heck people are saying, and even learning to cope without a microwave but I never even thought about how different their educational system would be. They split their classes up between one large lecture and then smaller tutorial groups, so my schedule is very different than what I'm used to. I will have class for an hour and that is spread out through the whole week. They also grade a lot differently, the entire grade is based on the midterm and final and there is no work due in between! That will take some getting used to but I'm really not worried about it. They also list the building, floor and room number for your class differently than what I'm used to. For example next to one of my classes I will see "FG061" and so the F stands for the Foundations Building, the G means it is on the ground floor and the 061 means it's in room 61. In the beginning I was so totally confused by this but it actually makes things much easier because you can tell someone "I need to find S205" and they can point you right to the building, room and floor.

I am loving the classes that I picked. They all seem pretty intense but the material that will be covered looks so interesting!
The first class I'm taking is International Management and that seems interesting but I need to get used to the fact that when the professor refers to our home country they are talking about Ireland and not the US. The Irish legal system and policies are pretty foreign to me as well so this class will take some getting used to.
My next class is Irish Language and in this class I will learn how to speak Gaelic. The one interesting I've learned being here is that NO ONE calls it Gaelic, it's almost looked down upon. They all call it Irish, so in this class I will be learning to speak Irish and I will also get a look into Irish history and culture.
The next one is Marketing Communications, and this class is pretty much just an Advertising class. I really think I'm going to like this one because the professor seems really interesting, but just like my Management class I am running into trouble when they talk about Irish advertisements that I am not familiar with.
I am also taking Management Principles which is a basic management class. This professor seems very knowledgeable but a little intense, it's one of those classes that you do not want to miss.
Lastly, I am taking Marketing Intelligence which is basically a class about how to apply marketing information to real life. This class seems pretty useful so I'm looking forward to that.


So that is what my week has been like. It's pretty funny actually, I was sitting in my classes thinking about how excited I am to get into them and then I found myself thinking that I don't want to miss any classes to travel because I think I'm going to learn a lot from them. I'm sure I will get over that very quickly! :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment